Slow Cooker Beef Stew
This recipe for slow cooker beef stew turned out fantastic! I was pretty excited when I got home from work, to find that my beef stew had thickened perfectly and turned out great.
The last time I made beef stew, was when I first got married 11 years ago, oh man what a disaster, it was so runny, and had no flavor. The bad recipe I tried was from a famous slow cooker cookbook, but just a bad, bad recipe. This recipe will not disappoint you, it is full of flavor, and it’s nice and thick. This stew recipe reminds me a perfect pot roast dinner, with everything chopped to the perfect size, with gravy on it!
I start by adding some seasonings to a 1/2 cup of flour, toss my stew meat with it, then brown the meat. I de-glaze the pan with a can of beef broth, and stir in a small can of tomato paste. Then I add the veggies, meat, and broth to the slow cooker, cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. And then add some frozen peas, and cook a little longer.
You may also like:
- 2 pounds Stew Meat (or 2 pounds any lean roast cut into 1 inch or so squares)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- cooking oil (about 4 teaspoons)
- 14 ounce can beef broth
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes quartered or diced (1 inch or so)
- 1 pound bag baby carrots
- 1 white onion diced large
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and thyme in a big ziplock bag. Shake, then add the stew meat.
- Shake to coat the pieces evenly.
- Brown the meat in the cooking oil on all sides, you don't need to cook the meat through. You may need to cook the meat in batches.
- Dump the meat into the slow cooker.
- Put the pan back on the stove and de-glaze the pan with the beef broth, and tomato paste, scrap up any brown bits of meat and flour into the sauce. This will only take a minute or so.
- Add the sauce to the slow cooker.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and onions to the slow cooker.
- Give everything a big stir.
- Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Add peas at the end of cooking time. Put lid back on and cook for 15 more minutes or so, to thaw the peas.
Slow Cooker Size: 6 quart or larger